Consider licensing under LGPL rather than GPL?

Jun 25, 2010 at 10:28 PM
Edited Jun 25, 2010 at 10:35 PM
Hello, my name is Jimmy and I've recently discovered C#Mail. I find it to be a very well designed and implemented POP3 client library, and I am interested in using the library in my work and contributing back whatever I may.

Unfortunately, the GPLv2 license C#Mail is released under is an obstacle to adopting its use in my organization. I ask you to consider licensing C#Mail under the slightly less restrictive LGPL. The LGPL is intended specifically for licensing libraries such as C#Mail..

One of the key distinctions between the two licenses is that any program (such as the one I am extending) that links against a GPL library must then also be released under the GPL.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfLibraryIsGPL
In contrast, when a library is licensed under LGPL, any program may link to it without being 'infected'. Under LGPL, any modifications to the library itself must still be released.

I thank your for releasing your code under a GNU open source license and contributing a great piece of work to the OSS community. Please consider releasing your library under the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL) as doing so would only widen the potential audience, and thus potential contributors, for C#Mail.

Thanks for your time,
Jimmy
Coordinator
Jul 11, 2010 at 6:51 PM

I plan to release commercial licence like MySQL to meet your needs.
But I have no time because of my work on project,so it would take some of a time to prepare it.
If you need quick response,please contact me at higuchihiguchihiguchi@hotmail.com.

Thank you.

Aug 12, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Have you given this more thought?  In codeplex you can log in and just choose change license and pick LGPL or something else that allows others to link to your library without having to have their whole project be GPL.

Coordinator
Aug 19, 2010 at 12:22 PM

1---I can't know that I can sell C#Mail on Codeplex.
2---I'm not certain that to sell C#Mail on open source community is good or bad.

So,I take a time to get information about it.And please execuse me if I do something wrong.
If somebody knows the rules or tell me the site that provide me the basic knowledge,please tell me.

If you want to buy C#Mail even if I miss something,please mail me higuchihiguchihiguchi@hotmail.com.
I'm planing that you can buy C#Mail as BSD license with 1000$.
I'll receive your payment by paypal account.
Once you buy C#Mail,you can use it on business product.

regard.