Response Timeout problem

Aug 12, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Hi:

I just downloaded the .dll and started playing around. But for some reason I'm not able of downloading emails from my POP3 account.

The code I use is the following:

using (Pop3Client cl = new Pop3Client())
            {
                cl.ServerName = "mail.myserver.com";
                cl.Port = 110;
                cl.UserName = "myuser@myserver.com";
                cl.Password= "mypass";
                cl.AuthenticateMode = Pop3AuthenticateMode.Pop;
                cl.Authenticate();

///Get first mail of my mailbox
                Pop3Message mg = cl.GetMessage(1);                        //In this line the program stops
                Console.WriteLine("Subject:  " + mg.Subject);
                Console.WriteLine("From:     " + mg.From);
                Console.WriteLine("To:       " + mg.To);
                Console.WriteLine("-------------------------------------------");
                Console.WriteLine("body: " + mg.BodyText);
            }

The program stops in the line I pointed above. I get the message "Response timeout".

What can I be doing wrong? I tested fo others accounts I have in different servers, but i couldn't connect to any one.

Regards,

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:42 PM

See this thread: http://csharpmail.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=220846

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Hi Edwill:

I already have tried that and nothing happens.

This is not a connection issue to the server, since I know that it is already authenticated. If I put the following line:

long numemails= cl.GetTotalMessageCount();

I get the number of emails in my account. So that is working. But the program fails in this line:

Pop3Message mg = cl.GetMessage(1);

In here the "Response Timeout" appears. Is like it didn't recognize the email.

Regards,

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Hi Mike,

How long does it take before you get the timeout error?

It might be that the message is really big, and the downloading of which exceeds the value specified in the ReceiveTimeout property.

If you have more than 1 message, try GetMessage(2) and see if the second one times out.

Regards,

Edwill

Aug 12, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Hi Edwill:

It takes like 15 to 20 secs in appearing the timeout problem. The emails are very small in size. Also I tried the GetMessage(2) but I'm getting the same results.

Regards,

Mike

Aug 12, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Hi Mike,

If it only takes that short, then you are not setting the ReceiveTimeout property properly.

Increase that value, and you should be fine.

Regards,

Edwill

Aug 12, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Hi Edwill:

It seems the problem is the email server.

I tried in another server and it works. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Aug 12, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Hi Edwill:

Now I tried to download a file and it takes forever. I set the ReceiveTimeout property, but anyway it takes too long utntil it finally doesn't download it (it is an Excel file of 22k).

Can you please send me the piece of code you use to connect to a pop3 server? I think I have a problem with it when I set the initial values.

Regards,

Coordinator
Aug 16, 2010 at 4:28 AM

Hi.
Perhaps GetResponseCallback method in Pop3Client class or ReadBuffer method in AsynchronousPop3ResponseContext class may have problem.
But I can't reproduce your bug so I can't resolve bug.

Inside Pop3Client class,get byte data response asynchronous.
Perhaps there are something defference pop3 server response and AntiVerus proxy program's response.
I assume that Antiverus proxy response some byte data which I don't expect,so the ReadText method return false all time,and never end GetResponse method.

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Hi Higty:

Thanks for your response.

I'm almost certain the problem is the interaction between the dll and the antivirus, since when I disable the scanning on port 110, the emails and attachments arrived correctly. When the scanning feature is enable, only those emails that doesn’t have attachments arrived correctly, but the once with attachments (like Excel file), doesn’t arrive and my program hangs for ever.

Please tell me if I can give you more information about this issue in order that we can make this work, since it is very unlikely to shut down the scanning of port 110, since there can be emails with virus.

Thanks,

Mike

Coordinator
Aug 19, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Please give me the name of anti virus software.
If I can get the software,I'll check the issue.

Aug 19, 2010 at 2:11 PM
Hi Higty: Thanks for your help. The antivirus I have is Eset Nod32 (v 2.5). I think this issue should also happen for newer versions. You can download free trial from their website. Thanks! Mike